Miscellaneous links to start your day:
1) The WNBA gets a gift. Or, as the article intimates, a potential problem. Either way, good for Sheryl Swoopes.
2) Lists are always fun.
3) Ashlee digs Bloom County, apparently. I see her as a Portnoy kinda gal.
4) Ho, ho, ho, indeed. We'll miss you, big guy.
5) Great article in today's Washington Post on low-budget ads. Includes the following gem:
"Among other images, Ranger Surplus uses a brief stock clip of a nuclear explosion in its commercials. Its spokesman, Captain Happy, wears sunglasses and a Smokey the Bear hat and reminds viewers "to carry a knife. . . . You'll never realize its many uses until you have one on you!"
The chain's unusual ad slogan -- "This store is the cat's ass" -- was a bit of a fluke, says Kramer. A customer uttered it spontaneously during the taping of a testimonial ad five years ago, and it stuck. Now it's a badge of honor, appearing on T-shirts and bumper stickers. "People stick their heads in the store and shout it out," says Kramer proudly."
That's great and all... but Eastern Motors' commercials will always be #1 in my heart. A review, in case you have no idea what I'm talking about.
6) Finally, if you haven't heard it yet, find and download (I mean "buy," of course) "Blankest Year" by Nada Surf. Best 2 minutes and 13 seconds of music this year, hands down.