Thursday, November 03, 2005

"Listen All You New Yorkers..."

Hrubecky, I want a review of last night's Go! Team show, stat. And news of your condo board meeting, or whatever the hell it was.

Tell me you have a place to live, so that I can be inspired by you.

***

The contractor situation (with my master bathroom, in case you didn't know) could be worse, I suppose... but it's also getting to be a bit of a headache. The guy came by yesterday, and brought no fewer than four separate subcontractors with him. Which wouldn't be a problem if they weren't warbling along to "Sugar, We're Going Down" at full blast, no fewer than 18 times.

Not having listened to DC 101 in a few months/years, I'd forgotten how frequently the songs get repeated. Now I remember all too clearly.

Having the luxury of doing so, I tried to move my computer to the kitchen, to the basement, so that I wouldn't have to listen to their inevitable off-key version of "Just Like Heaven"... but the wireless connection kept breaking up, no matter what room I took the laptop to. Anyone know why that is? Isn't the connection supposed to encircle my house, or something close to it?

That's a real concern for my next property, by the way... ensuring that I can work from home. If I have a stubborn connection again, which is something I'll only really know after signing the contract... I'll be in some deep shit.

***

I won't even tell you of the other things I was hearing yesterday from these fine, fine sirs. Suffice it to say I was nauseated at several different points.

Nor will I tell you that I'm getting a guilt trip almost daily from the contractor, about how difficult his life is because he squeezed my house into his already-too-busy schedule. Then don't accept the job in the first place!!!

You'll also thank me for not mentioning that they're not coming by for several more days, at which point they'll be working three or four nights next week.

In the meantime, my bedroom is like a disaster zone.

How will I live???


***

I don't know about you, but I hear about this, and I immediately think that Andy Clark from The Breakfast Club is to blame.

Old habits die hard, I guess.

By the way, a trial tip for you: when you get CNN-level publicity for a case in which you've sued Home Depot, and the article ends with you quoted as saying, "This is not Home Depot's fault... [b]ut I am blaming them for letting me hang in there and just ignoring me"... maybe you should consider settling the case.

I'm just saying.

***

Over the past few days, I re-watched Revenge of the Sith on DVD. And as a reformed Star Wars nerd, let me tell you... with a fast-forward button, that movie goes by real quick. Any scene with Natalie Portman gets thrown in the crapper immediately... as does just about any scene with extended dialogue.

Somehow, a movie that I really enjoyed in the theater... turned into one that, at home... I don't know. It just felt kinda craptacular. It went right back in the Netflix sleeve it came in, and quickly.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

***

My parents are coming home from their cruise this weekend, and they want to know if the Eagles are really as bad as they've been hearing out at sea (I imagine they've been getting messages by Morse code).

Well, they'll be able to see for themselves on Sunday night. I hope I'm wrong... but I'm thinking 23-17, Skins, right now. As I told Rob last night... it just feels like a cursed season, especially now that T.O. appears to be out for a few games.

***

I hate myself for saying that.

***

Thank you, Aoife. Thank you very much.

No comments: