Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Unable to Sleep

How sad is it when you toss and turn for hours (and not for any good reason)?

Well, that's me.

I've been up since God knows when. And I have no idea why... I didn't have all that much caffeine yesterday (if any), and in fact, I had some wine during the evening.

That in addition to being fairly tired (as usual). I was expecting a sound sleep.

Oh, who knows?

***

Mike Benton, a question for you. "If you were a hot dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?"

I know I would.

***

Anyway, last night's date (!) with Michelle went well... she was very, very attractive (always a good thing), moreso than I'd remembered, and I think we hit it off in a good way. We were very comfortable with one another from the start-- none of the stilted "what is the greatest thing you've ever done..."-style questions.

So that was cool, as was the fact that she hails from Toronto, and kept saying "aboot." I didn't say anything to her about it-- I didn't want to be annoying, or condescending, or make her self-conscious-- but it was pretty great (funny, amusing, whatever) to hear.

Unfortunately, I'd been getting a lukewarm response from Michelle's emails, and from some of her calls... and even at the end of the night, at one point. She'd sound clipped, a bit disinterested... but as the night went on, I grew to realize that she's just stressed, overwhelmed. She works as a Director at Hillel... and she travels a ton (both professionally and personally). Several trips a month. So much so that it's been hard to track her down to get together at all.

All of which makes me wonder if she has the time for a relationship right now.

All that said, her body language suggested that she was having a great time (and really, who wouldn't have a great time with me in the middle of a Middle Eastern restaurant-- Meze? What could be more comfortable?).

***

The only *legit* bad thing about last night?

Get ready. This will make you laugh.

Before I met her, I Googled her... it's not been uncommon for my dates to do the same to me, so I figured I'd get some intel (oh, God, that sounds creepy). Hopefully, I could learn more about where she works, what she does, that sort of thing.

Well, wouldn't you know, I have the opportunity to bring it up to her, though not in a creepy way-- in context. And thankfully, she was flattered, not scared... actually impressed that I seemed to know what she and her organization stood for.

So that's a good thing, right?

Well, we decide to leave at about 10:30 or so, and it turns out we're walking in the same direction. And we're still walking in the same direction. And further, still.

Wouldn't you know that in the f'g parking nightmare that is Adams Morgan, I get the one available parking spot (after searching for close to :30) that happens to sit RIGHT outside her apartment?

She looked at me funny. I promised her I wasn't a stalker. That I hadn't Googled her address. But then I knew that by saying that... I'd just reminded her of the fact that I'd been looking her up, earlier in the day.

I don't know whether she bought my (honest) excuse or not. I'll have to ask her the next time we talk.

***

It just goes to show you-- Adams Morgan is evil, and I am a big fat (unlucky) dope.

No comments: