Sunday, December 18, 2005

Your Ex-Lover Is Dead

...is the name of a song by Stars that is incomprehensibly good. I've been listening to it over and over again this week, and I can't shake it.

I don't want to shake it. I want to keep on listening to it.

I even tracked down its Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-inspired video for you.

Clicky (if you have a choice, watch it in Real... it seems to load much faster that way).

***

So, where the hell have I been? Why have my posts been of the "link" variety and not of the soul-baring variety?

What's going on???

***

I don't know.

This past week just kinda went by, and between the weather and the lack of anything really going on (at work, personally)... it was just a bit of a bummer.

And I didn't want to drag you down into some Morrissey-like hole of despair, just because the sun wasn't shining in my little world.

So that's been what's up.

That, and the realization that I'll be saying goodbye to Venus at week's end.

And that's not fun at all.

***

I had a good time last night, though. It started when I went to a neighborhood Christmas party, where I didn't really know that many people (but they all likely knew about me)... and so I promptly bailed after an hour.

So the good time started when I went over to Jeff's, where he had tons to do (darning socks, knitting, that kind of thing), but didn't mind sharing some wine and watching (OK, half-watching) the Bills game.

It had been awhile since we'd seen each other (or, at least, it seemed that way to me), and apparently Jeff was coming off of a variation of my week... so I think we each appreciated the company. Even if he did force me to take an 8-hour long eHarmony questionnaire.

I will never visit that site again. I must have answered (literally) over 400 questions (of the fill-in-the-bubble variety). Only to be told that I'd need to pay (more than the typical Match/JDate nonsense) to communicate with anyone.

Yeeeecch.

***

On a happier note... Time magazine hit it out of the park with their selection of Persons of the Year. Just go to CNN to read up.

It's always nice to commend people who simply do great (and relatively selfless) things, rather than lauding people who are divisive. I'm sure that legions of people will see Bono on the front cover and be appalled, but once they read... I think it will be hard to argue with the selection.

The man has done some great things-- to say nothing of what the Gates have done-- and the group of them are far from finished.

Hooray for recognizing charitable activities, as opposed to something Katrina- or Administration-related.

***

top 5 bands you should watch out for in 2006:

birdmonster
tapes 'n tapes
the national
the light footwork
bishop allen

***

gogol bordello - undestructable
sufjan stevens - casimir pulaski day
giant drag - god only knows
the rosebuds - hold hands and fight
the mountain goats - love love love

2 comments:

jed said...

I'd throw we are scientists on that list too. the album has yet to come out here but it's incredible.

David said...

Gladly. I really like what I've heard from them.

There are tons of other bands I could have mentioned-- you know this-- but I had to separate the wheat from the chaff, see.