Friday, February 10, 2006

Say "Cheese"

The other night, at about 6pm or so, I just had to get out of the house.

Work had gone OK, mercifully, but... I needed some fresh air, I needed to go for a drive, even though there was plenty of food in the fridge, and even though there wasn't all that much gas in the tank.

So I grabbed the new Esquire magazine that had just come in the mail, and headed to one of my favorite restaurants (no, not McDonald's). Ordered one of my favorite meals. Enjoyed the fact that for the first time in a long time, the place was quiet, and pretty much empty.

It was so relaxing.

And I thought that, given where my head was on that particular evening... I couldn't be any happier. I was in my comfort zone.

***

Last night was even better, though-- because I finally saw Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

Go ahead and laugh at me. It's OK. I give you permission.

But as many of you know, Wallace and Gromit is and has been my comfort zone for years. Sometimes, we have books that make us feel better. Sometimes, food. Often, it's going out with friends.

For whatever reason, Wallace and Gromit always (and I mean always) makes me feel better. Which is why I have no idea why it took me this long to see the film.

It was ungodly. Otherworldly. Just so great, in so many different ways.

It made me so happy.

It's making me happy even now, just thinking about it.

***

And sure, it's just a kids movie.

It's British, yes, I know.

And it's friggin' clay, I get it.

But I repeat: it made me so happy.

And given everything else that's been flying about in my life as of late?

I'll take that.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Hi Dave ! I Love Wallace and Gromit too ! I think actually , it may have been you who introduced me to them " back in the day " when I was just a little sister to an anglofile before i married a Brit and made you both so proud.
This movie is on my Netflix Q right now and I can't wait ! I'm also getting " three Amazing adventures"
And don;t even get me started on creature Comforts.....

David said...

That makes one public admission, and one I received in private.

It's settled, then. People really do love their Wallace and Gromit.