Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I Don't Mean a Big Reduction in the Price of Beer

Dear God,

That Clay Aiken thing yesterday didn't do much for you, huh?

It wasn't enough to really get under your skin, to truly disturb you, I suppose?

Well, that's it. I'm through playing around.

I mean, I've given you Nickelback-- nothing. I've given you the Republicans controlling all three branches of government-- zippo. I took away Peter Tomarken yesterday, and you barely noticed!

Suffice it to say, I'm a bit peeved.

In that spirit, then, here is my latest flaming bag of shit, delivered to your doorstep. I would suggest that if anyone you know (and I guess that means everyone-- hah!) shows any interest in actually seeing this, you arrange for them to be shot in the face.

Just my two cents, though.



Sincerely,

Satan

***

Speaking of movies and of the devil (and this is David talking now, not Satan), I saw one of the best movies I've seen in years last night: Downfall. It's about the final days of Adolf Hitler's life, when he and the remaining Nazi leadership were reduced to commanding Germany from an underground bunker.

As you might imagine, much of it is horrifying... but more to the point, it's completely engrossing. From the first time you see (the actor portraying) Hitler walk in front of the camera, how delusional he was at that stage... you're hooked. It is an incredible performance, and, assuming you have a high tolerance for the subject matter, it is beyond fascinating.

Downfall won the best foreign film Oscar a year or two ago, if I'm not mistaken. Now that I've seen it, I'm shocked it didn't get nominated for Best Picture.

***

How does one reconcile this picture with "hug it out, bitch"?



***

I recently directed a few of you to the excellent Rolling Stone profile of Scientology... well, the religion made headlines again this morning.

Our beloved Chef will be no more for this earth.

Noted Scientologist Isaac Hayes has left the show, complaining that South Park's treatment of religions (i.e., Scientology, in the "Trapped in the Closet"" episode, in particular) is inappropriate.

If you read the article and the quotes by Matt Stone... it's easy to see what happened here.

As the great prophet/Thetan Hulk Hogan once said, "whatchagonnado???"

***

Ah, let's brighten the mood, and end on a positive note, shall we?

***

Did Peter find a carton of Parliaments and a Colecovision in his stomach the other night, or did I dream that?

And were there nods to Mr. Mxyzptlk, Wheel of Fortune, the Great Space Coaster and Better off Dead, all before the first commercial? Or was that just me, too?

***

morrissey - life is a pigsty
ride - not fazed
mclusky - to hell with good intentions
irving - jen, nothing matters to me
arctic monkeys - a certain romance

1 comment:

cubbie said...

no more whammies. sniffle.