Saturday, April 29, 2006

Draft Day

Welcome to Day 1 of the 2006 NFL Draft. If you knew that already, then you'll also know that in 1999, the Philadelphia Eagles selected Donovan McNabb with their 1st round pick, bypassing Ricky Williams in the process.

And the boos are still being heard, apparently. I've only seen that footage three times in the past day.

And I haven't even had the television on!

*rimshot*

***

Anyway, the whole Mario Williams/Reggie Bush fiasco is fascinating... as it gives us all a chance to see what a franchise looks like at the actual moment it completely implodes. Houston fans wanted (and still want) Vince Young, they learned to "settle" for Reggie Bush... and now they're left with this guy. Who will be a great NFL player, certainly... but is a meatball when compared to the other two gents.

At least as far as fan perception is concerned.

The Eagles have the #14 pick, which means that they'll be on the clock next Wednesday. When that happens (and it had better not happen at the same time as Lost, damnit), the smart money says Winston Justice.

But really, who knows? Of all the players they are apparently considering, have I the knowledge to tell one apart from the other?

Not quite. I just listen to what WIP tells me to do, and then boo accordingly.

***



Should be a great time, though, with the guys coming over to help me make fun of 450-lb. Chris Berman, Jazz Hands and company.



It'll be like MST3K, only with men who don't live in the basement of the science building.

***



Chuck Klosterman's been losing me, lately. Whether it's his contributions at ESPN.com, his column in Esquire, or elsewhere, his style has turned a bit into its own self-caricature.

There's a better word for what I'm trying to say, I know, but I'm blanking on it. Just trust me on this, that he's become too smug and too self-aware for his own good (says the guy who's been blogging for 1 1/2 years, I know, I know).

All that being said, the Chuckwagon has a great columnette (with apologies to TK) on the Texans' goof-to-be. And in case you're not interested in clicking and reading-- and it's short, so you should-- here's my favorite part:

"Obviously, this decision is wolf-face crazy. It's the kind of decision you make when you are drunk, and on cocaine, and on deadline, and on fire."

Genius.

***

Don't do drugs, people. Because if you do, your obituary might end up reading like Steve Howe's.

Sad, sad, sad.

***

I don't wish injury upon anybody, OK?

But any story that centers around Keith Richards hurting his head after falling out of a palm tree?

Well, I'm practically convulsing, here.

***

Have a great weekend... hope your team has a great draft, so long as said team is the Philadelphia Eagles.

No comments: