Sunday, April 23, 2006

Weekend's Here, Have a Can of Beer

So, after working my first full week in an honest-to-goodness office in some time, I've been busy immersing myself in what some would call a "relaxing weekend."

And, apart from the weather being only a small step above lousy... it's been terrific.

Ilise and Paul came over yesterday afternoon, and as usual, we had a great time together. They saw the new place and seemed to approve of it, even bringing by some goodies (thank you, once again). After which, we had lunch at Woodrow's and did some shopping at the Container Store and Crate & Barrel-- or, they did, at least.

I bought nothing.

For the first time in ages.

All of this might sound a bit mundane if I didn't tell you that I was laughing and glowing pretty much the entire time. Their company was the important thing, and I was thrilled to have them be down here (from Baltimore) for the day.

***

After they left, and after I ran a few errands (including hitting the Arlington Library, and it's circulation desk line of 25+ people... hey! Arlingtonians read!), I flipped between the Flyers game (which was one of the best hockey games I've seen in years, despite the Flyers losing in 2OT) and the Klitschko-Byrd heavyweight title fight.

And after watching several fights over the past few months that amounted to pretty much nothing... this was an ass-whupping of the highest order. Klitschko absolutely savaged Byrd, landing more blows in one round (and in several different rounds) than I'd seen land in the past few bouts combined. Dude was not missing at all.

And after two knockdowns, by round 7, Byrd's face looked... how do you say, a mess. It looked like something you'd see behind the deli counter.

And it was totally great.

***

Fast-forward to this morning. After going to the gym (if I'm lyin', I'm dyin'), I finished watching Bill Hicks: Sane Man, which was a good concert for historical purposes but nowhere near the refined (and nearly dead) Bill that is/was on display in Rant in E-Minor.

Still, in a world of Lenos and Mencias and Romanos... I'll take early-era Hicks every time.

***

Today, I'm selling some CDs, buying some cards at Hallmark, and attending a bris.

So... yeah.

That's what's on the docket. Not all that exciting, save for the chance to see Rob and Debbie and their new kids.

Which actually makes it plenty exciting. That should be wonderful, in fact.

Strike any negative overtones from the record, please.

***

Hope you had a good time at the bachelor party, kid. I trust you'll tell me all about it, assuming you've woken up by this evening?

1 comment:

dad said...

Dave......what do you think about the Beach Boys?