Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Where I Been

Well, my first day at work came and went, and it seems like it's going to be a busy next couple of weeks (or, hopefully, couple of months). I'll probably be at the office no less than six days a week for the foreseeable future, if only to compensate for my recent, um, "vacation."

Which was a BLAST, lemme tell ya.

Anyway, there don't actually seem to be any limits or restrictions, for once. We've heard 60-70/week, we've heard 40/week. Which means that I can basically show up whenever I want (literally-- our building and space is available to us 24 hours a day), and work for as long as I want. But again, I feel the need to compensate at least a little bit for all the lost time over the past several months.

It'll be up to me. We'll see what happens.

The people seem OK, I suppose, though most of them have worked with one another before. Yesterday, I was the only complete and utter newbie, which was a bit odd. I hate being that tentative, that erring-on-the-side-of-polite.

Hopefully, that will become a non-issue, and shortly.

The case itself is dry, shockingly enough, but the firm is great, and the room we're working in is very comfortable. For those of you in the know, I'm at the Northeast corner of International Square, on K Street, between Farragut West and Foggy Bottom. Tell me where you are, and we can get together for lunch, dinner, or spirits.

***

I have access to the internet all day, but I'd really rather not surf too much. Even though yesterday, people were already playing the mini-golf.

I will be checking Gmail quite a bit, nudge nudge... so feel free to say "hello."

***

Wow.

Today, finally, is C-Day... the closing on the house. That's why I'm here, typing, and not at work. It is scheduled for 10am, in Old Town, and apparently the seller's portion of the morning will take less than an hour.

Which would be wonderful, because it's going to be very difficult to take, emotionally. Not because of any problems on my part, mind... but because, if history is any indication, Abby might break down at some point.

Possibly because this morning might be the last time that we see one another.

I won't get into it here-- almost all of you know how I feel on this, so I don't need to trumpet it further-- but I don't think Abby is necessarily on the same ground I am on right now.

Does that make any sense?

Eh. If not, you can ask me. But I think most of you know the deal.

***

Kevin from Division Day Division Day (click on the cover, please) mailed me his band's new CD, Beartrap Island, yesterday... and I look forward to listening to it over the next few days. He was also nice enough to send two posters, one announcing the upcoming Birdmonster/Division Day tour of the West Coast.

So, if you're reading this, and they're coming near you... I'd highly recommend you go. If you can't make it... track down the CD anyway. If their earlier EP was any indication, I'm guessing that you won't be disappointed.

***

Also, on the music front, please let me know if you'd be interested in you have any interview questions for Syd from Les Savy Fav, one of the guys from Korn, or one of the Chili Peppers.

I'm not saying I'm conducting any or all of these, but none are out of the questions, and I appear to have a legitimate "in."

***

Har.

***

If you've made it this far... have some music.

A fantastic Smiths concert from 1985.

Or, an equally great R.E.M. show from 1984.

Or, more new stuff from Ryan's recently transformed site, GoodHodgkins. He was kind enough to link to me, but slack enough to get the spelling wrong... so I'm torn. ;)

***

belle & sebastian - gonna fly now (theme from rocky)
division day - colorguard
sugar - judas cradle
hockey night - save the clock tower
the boy least likely to - i'm glad i hitched my apple wagon to your star

1 comment:

ryan said...

my bad

spelling fixed

thanks for the link, berg-man