Sunday, July 16, 2006

Albums of the Year

Last night, Ben asked me what I was listening to these days... and, following the two of us owning up to our mutual crushes on Lily Allen, I blanked.

So, in the compulsive list-making spirit of nerds and mp3 bloggers everywhere, here's my Top 10 albums of the year so far:

1. Lily Allen - Alright, Still
2. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
3. Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
4. Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
5. Thom Yorke - The Eraser
6. Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
7. Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
8. +/- - Let's Build a Fire
9. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
10. Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics

Honorable mentions:

Lupe Fiasco (Food & Liquor demos)
Division Day (Beartrap Island)
Girl Talk (Night Ripper)
Casper & the Cookies (The Optimist's Club)
The Vorstand Circus (Sworn in on a Stack of Dictionaries)
Twilight Singers (Powder Burns)
Devotchka (Curse Your Little Heart EP)
Voxtrot (Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives EP)
Morrissey (Ringleader of the Tormentors)
We Are Scientists (With Love and Squalor)

3 comments:

Clint said...

Good list, though I think Pearl Jam should be higher. Also, Thom Yorke's Eraser? It was decent, but I don't see myself having the urge to listen to it in a few months like I have with the Radiohead albums.

joffa h said...

it is a very cool yet unrisky list

David said...

Very cool, yet unrisky... that sums it up, doesn't it?

Speaking of which, I would have placed Pearl Jam higher, but I was afraid of getting mocked by the cool kids. As this is a list that ideally reflects what I'll be listening to 1, 5, 10 years from now, feel free to bump that up a bit.

And as for The Eraser... I'm one of those people who would purchase a CD of Thom Yorke singing the phone book. It's a weakness, admittedly.