Sunday, July 02, 2006

Weekend Wrap-Up

Yup.

I just needed a few days to recharge. I'm already doing much better than I had been, thanks for asking.

Let's see. I had Jeff and Chris over for drinks the other night. Got my car fixed up and detailed. Heard from Steph for a few minutes before the stupid cellphone connection peetered out. Finished Augusten Burroughs' awesome "Possible Side Effects." Watched a few more episodes of the Sopranos. Got a ridiculous head-start on the revitalization of my apartment, thanks to Chris and Noel (and Pottery Barn). Took a nap. Watched a massive thunderstorm.

These are all very good things.

Of course, England lost their match yesterday... though I suppose if you're a historian regarding such matters... your star getting a red, your team going out on penalties in the quarters, your Swede dominated once again by a fat fifty-something guy on the opposing sideline... let's just say that these things have happened before. We shouldn't be surprised, really.


Just like being a Philly sports fan, I tell you.

***

I watched Munich last night.

I had no idea that one of the murdered Israelis at the '72 Olympic Games was named David Berger. When his name was mentioned (and when his image was shown) in the movie, I damned near had a heart attack.

Oy vey, indeed.

***

Hey Jeff!

***

Hey, Jeff (part two)!!!

***

Alright, enough of that.

The writers at the Inquirer? They are BRINGING it, as of late. Witness:

(1) The completely unbridled rage of the fat man, Bill Conlin.

(2) The not-too-shocking but just as depressing thoughts of Phil Sheridan.

***

Let's lighten things up a bit.

Noel's brother continues to be the funniest person we know, even if he hates, hates, HATES soccer.

Philistine.

***

I've been meaning to ask you, by the way-- how did you allow this nugget to slip through the cracks?

Why wasn't I notified? Comic gold, people. Comic gold.

Gotta give me the IN-FO.

***

I don't know whether this short clip has anything to do with the movie that's coming out next Summer... but it's pretty cool.

At least my inner twelve-year old thinks so.

***

Thoughts?

***

TV on the Radio is the best band you've never heard of.

Or one of them, at least.

Anyway, they're opening for Nine Inch Nails and Bauhaus this summer, and... here's two awesome videos of them soundchecking their own "Dreams" and Bauhaus' classic "Bela Lugosi's Dead" (check out Trent sneaking a peek at the lyric sheet throughout... for shame!).

I have never seen Peter Murphy in the daylight, before. Kinda cool, kinda frightening... just like you'd hope and expect, right?

***

johnny cash - god's gonna cut you down
tom petty and eddie vedder (live) - american girl
nelly furtado w/ chris martin - all good things
casper & the cookies - kiss a friend
bloc party - like eating glass

No comments: