Sunday, July 30, 2006

Where Do I Start, Where Do I Begin

It has been really busy around here. I can't even begin to touch on all the stuff that has gone down over the past few days.

And I certainly can't touch on it in any coherent order.

***

In much bigger news, however...

My computer, knock on wood, has been fixed! Which is to say that Joe Comcast came to my apartment, fixed the problem, and within minutes after leaving, the computer all but blew up again.

After this happened, I called Joe and asked him to come back. Thankfully, he had not yet left the premises (it only having been 3-5 minutes or thereabouts)... and so, having replaced my router previously, this time he decided to bring in his computer, to see if he could draw any further conclusions.

Wouldn't you know that his computer connected to the internet without a problem?

Following this little experiment, he suggested that after all this time, the problem was likely not with Comcast, after all, but with my computer.

Which, of course, only made me angrier than I'd been before. Why had no one been able to tell me this in the first place???

I was angry... until he suggested that he once had the same problem, because he used both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer, often both at the same time. He told me that his problems ended when he deleted Mozilla from his computer.

Wouldn't you know it-- I did that, and (knock on wood), the computer hasn't gone down, since?

Thanks, Joe Comcast!

***

In more earth-shaking news, Teso is on the verge of putting in an offer on a new place. Which is thrilling for many, many reasons, but gives me a slight bit of extra satisfaction because he used my old realtor, John Randolph of Long & Foster.

The guy is f'g fantastic. If any of you are ever looking to buy or sell properties in the Northern Virginia area... please let me set you up with him. He did Teso a world of good this weekend-- whether he ends up getting a place immediately or not-- and he'll do the same for you.

(end commercial)

***

I finally hung the picture of Ryan that Michelle gave me.

It looks so much better on display (front and center, I'll have you know). What an unbelievably cute kid.

***

What might have made me happiest of all this weekend?

I went kayaking this morning for the first time in a year or two.


By myself, 8am, on the Potomac.

Just me and the water, some herons, some seagulls, and the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, Georgetown Harbor...

I MUST do this more often. It gave me such a rush (apart from the nearly-capsizing part) that I'd like to turn it into a monthly or even weekly thing during the remainder of the summer.

***

Oh, yeah. I finally finished season 5 of The Sopranos, so I'm done with that. Finally.

And I watched Dave Chappelle's Block Party at some point, too. If you have even an ounce of love for hip-hop, it's an absolute must-see.

If you care not for the hippin' and the hoppin', the bippin' and the boppin', though, I'd advise you to stay far, far away.

***

the pipettes - pull shapes
darryl hall (yeah, you heard me) - dreamtime
lily allen - alfie
toots & the maytals - let down (from the radiodread album)
nina simone - wild is the wind

No comments: