Sunday, September 24, 2006

Om

It is Sunday morning, and I just woke from one of the better sleeps I've had in months. I'm feeling relaxed, calm, and happy that yesterday was as productive a day as it was.

But it was passively productive, as opposed to too-much-on-my-plate, this-all-needed-to-get-done-last-week, which is how things have been, as of late. Maybe I should read this?


Productivity is next to godliness, or something... right? What was it that Billy Corgan said?

Oh, nevermind.

***

Yesterday's Rosh Hashanah service turned out to be a very good thing, after seeming to be a rather bad idea beforehand.

In other words... story of my life.

See, as I mentioned to Theresa the other night... things tend to follow a pattern for me.

No matter what the shape or size, no matter who they involve, or anything else-- I ALWAYS dread events in advance. Get-togethers, fetes, parties, weddings, trips, everything... they always make me miserable. Beforehand, that is.

Maybe it's the expectation that I have trouble with. The waiting being the hardest part, and all that.

Or perhaps it's the planning. Who knows.

Regardless, once I get there-- to any of the above-mentioned functions-- I end up loving everything and everyone.

This will happen at my own wedding, guaranteed. I will want out beforehand (having nothing to do with my bride, God willing), I'll want to fake an illness, I'll complain of having too much to do... and then I'll end up going, and I'll have a complete and total blast.

In other words, if you hear me complaining-- just slap me, and tell me to quit my bitching.

***

Which brings me back to the service. It was not at my "new" liberal synagogue in Falls Church, but rather at a/the historic synagogue at 6th and I in downtown DC. It was advertised as a service for those professionals, age 21-35, without their own congregation (or tickets to High Holiday services).

And so I went. Not, for once, looking to meet women. It being High Holidays and all.

But upon arriving, I realized that it was a traditional ceremony. Men sitting on one side of the room, women on the other. Men davening, singing, praying beforehand. People looking, on the whole, a good bit more godly than I.

Everything was a bit more ramped up... judaically speaking.

But then the service started, and it turned out OK. More than OK, in fact. The rabbi did a wonderful job of leading the service, threw enough personality into the thing to relate to us kids, and 2 1/2 hours actually felt like far, far less.

It was a Rosh Hashanah miracle, I tells ye.

The only distractions? Uncomfortable seats, combined with no personal space (the room was packed with about 150-200 people). This was offset, however, by a guy wearing something similar to this just a few seats in front of me. Chris, you would have been proud.


I would tell you that it was difficult having the women sit on the other side of the room, separated by trees and tallish plants, but that would tarnish the sanctity of the day.

I will say, however, that as I was in a room of 21-35 year-olds, I was far from the only one craning my neck everytime we stood up or sat down.

***

The Kennedy Center thing? The performance of Frankenstein? It didn't work out.


Be sure to ask me why! And why I'm not sad about it... at all.

***

Do yourself a favor and check out the Chimney Sweeps.

Not bad at all.

***

To paraphrase Kyle Leafblower, so worst.

***

Then again, so best. This is a great video of Ben Folds performing "Such Great Heights" live, for Aussie TV, with... well, I won't spoil it. But if you don't watch to the very end, it's your loss.

Love it.

***

Finally, brother, can you spare $1,255.00?

Because if you can... I mean... HOLY SHIT.

No comments: